W. A. Saltford was a dexterous dandy ahead of his time. In 1898, Vassar College commissioned the Poughkeepsie florist to carry out a cherished charge as the first designated outsider to weave and wield the seminal symbol of Commencement Day, the Daisy Chain.
For the procurement of requisite raw materials, Saltford relied on who else but the “Daisies,” those senior-class designated and specially selected sophomores who scoured Dutchess County for thousands of the long-stemmed flowers. In Vassar’s early days, every graduate merited her share, or to be precise, a 100-pound length of shoulder-draped Daisy Chain. As graduating classes grew, scarce daisy supplies and bench-pressing limitations required Saltford innovate. Regal laurel leaves, he discovered, lightened the load and filled the gaps nicely, much to the Daisies’ delight and relief. Today, the chain is fixed at 150 feet. The alternative, given society’s love affair with liberal arts would be a chain of over 600 feet and some very sore sophomores.